Do you ever see one of those “Beach Ready in 6 Weeks” ads on your social media feed and just feel like it’s so NOT YOU? No? Just me?
You know, it usually has some picture like that one where someone took a tape measure to the beach to make sure they were still “Bikini Ready”. Or, they are eating a salad on the beach with a six pack (and I don’t mean the kind of six pack you and I take to the beach).
All joking aside though, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to look good in a bikini or wanting to have a “six pack.” It’s just not our main focus here at 90/10 Nutrition. I have a pretty clear vision of what I want to do with 90/10 Nutrition, and “get your bikini bod” is not front and center in that vision.
The truth is, most of us just want to be healthy and energetic. For many of us, there is also a desire to feel like we are in control of our health rather than feeling like we are constantly battling against what we want and what we can have. Sure, we want to look good and most of us wouldn’t turn down a “bikini bod” if it was handed to us, but we also have this reality called LIFE. We have responsibilities, duties, and hobbies. Plus, we want to have flexibility to experience life without giving up our health. If that friend asks if I want to go grab a beer or have a glass of wine, I want to be able to say “YES!” without feeling like I have failed. On the other hand, I want to be in control of my food cravings.
My List of Main Goals
Here’s a list of the things that I wrote down for my own life and my health journey. These translate into what I want people to see and feel in their own lives when they do 90/10 Nutrition.
- ENERGY: I want to have the energy to do whatever I want or need to do. I want to have the energy to say “YES” when my kids want to go outside. I want to have the energy to enjoy the things I love and to explore new things. I don’t want to be held back by lethargy and exhaustion. If I am too exhausted to do something, it better be because it’s the end of a long day of hard work or hard play.
- UNDERSTANDING: I want to have a clear picture of what foods are healthy and what foods are not healthy. I don’t expect there to only be one right way to eat, but I want to have a basic understanding of food and not feel confused even if I choose some of the “unhealthy” items sometimes.
- SIMPLICITY: I want something that doesn’t require me to count points or calories, weigh my food, or do calculus.
- FLEXIBILITY: I want something that doesn’t require me to completely cut out entire food groups or never eat or drink a certain thing again in my life.
- SUSTAINABILITY: I want something that I could see myself doing for the rest of my life.
- APPEARANCE: I just want to look healthy and feel good in my clothes. To me, that doesn’t have to mean 10% body fat. It looks different on everyone.
So, my goal for 90/10 would be to hear you say:
“This isn’t complicated, I could see myself doing this long-term, I know what to do on a daily basis, I don’t feel deprived or restrained, I feel good about how I look, and I have the energy to do what I want and need to do.”
If you have goals to see your abs or do a physique competition, then you’re going to make some tweaks to the standard 90/10 plan and that’s fine. I’m happy to support those goals as well, but we have to take the steps that come before that and that is what 90/10 is all about.
Can It Be Done?
Yes, it can! Every month we have challengers that realize all or most of the things on that list. Usually, they are shocked by their results and by the support they get in the challenges.
Don’t believe me? Find out for yourself in our next challenge.