This recipe for Baked Fish Sticks uses Grape Nuts cereal for a truly crunchy and amazing coating that will remind you of frozen fish sticks but without the frying or enriched wheat. It’s paired with homemade mini corn muffins and coleslaw.
- 1 cup grape nuts cereal
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1 lb tilapia cut into 1/2 inch by 3 inch strips
Mini Corn Muffins
- 1 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup 100% whole wheat flour pastry flour preferred
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp buttermilk powder
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 egg large
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bag shredded cabbage 16 oz
- 2 granny smith apple cored and diced
- 2 carrot large, peeled and julienned
- 1 cup jicama peeled and julienned
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 450. Spray a grill tray or wire rack with cooking spray. Set tray on a baking sheet and set aside. In a food processor, process first 7 ingredients (cereal through salt) until powdery. Transfer to a shallow dish. Beat egg until foamy. Transfer to a second shallow dish. Add four to a third shallow dish. Working with one fish strip at a time, dredge fish in flour, then egg, then in cereal mixture. Place fish sticks on prepared grill tray or rack. Bake at 450 for 10 min or until fish is cooked through and coating is browned and crispy.
Mini Corn Muffins
- Preheat oven to 425. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients. Pour dry mix into wet mix, and combine well. Pour batter into 24 mini muffin cups. Bake at 425 for 15 min or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Combine all ingredients. Toss to combine. Refrigerate 20 min. Toss again. Serve.
This Post Has 4 Comments
Found it; looks good. I will be trying this soon.
I’m going to be trying the coleslaw & fish sticks this week. I can’t wait!
Tried the fish sticks tonight; the whole family loved them! Will be making again.
The coleslaw is very good! I will make this often.