If you haven’t tried acorn squash you should because it is delicious and filled with nutrients! This Acorn Squash and Sausage Soup has the vegetables and the protein covered for a fully nutritious meal. One tip we thought was handy to remember was that your soup should stay warm while you are pureeing it because the acorn squash will be very warm, but if it does not stay hot, add your pureed mix to a saucepan and heat up on the stovetop. Enjoy!
- 2 acorn squash halved
- 1 1/2 lbs pork sausage
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pepitas to garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut acorn squashes in half and place on a baking sheet, open side down.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until soft to the touch.
- When your acorn squash has about 10 minutes left to cook, add a large skillet over medium heat along with your 2 tablespoons of olive oil, minced garlic, and diced onions.
- Once your onions become translucent, add your pork sausage to the pan and use a wooden spoon to break it up into pieces and cook until completely cooked through.
- When your acorn squash is roasted and soft, scoop the squash out of the skin with a spoon and place into a food processor.
- Then add your coconut milk and broth to the food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Then add your smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and puree until smooth.
- Place your pureed soup in a bowl, top with sausage, and sprinkle with pepitas.
- Eat up!