I know…Thanksgiving is not until next month. However, PLANNING is the key to success with your nutrition!…So, let’s step back for a second and plan for the upcoming Holiday season as it relates to your waistline.
It’s no secret that most people GAIN WEIGHT during the holiday season. It usually starts around Halloween with the candy, continues with Thanksgiving and pie, and then all hell breaks loose with the Christmas baked goods, right?
Well, if this is your time of year to “let loose” and “enjoy” the holiday season, then by all means….go for it. If you are like me though, gaining 10 lbs and feeling lethargic are NOT my idea of “enjoying” the holiday season. I want to feel good on January 1 and not even feel like I need a New Year’s Resolution.
Imagine something with me for a second: Imagine yourself on January 1st MORE FIT AND HEALTHY than you have been all year. What are the chances of that? Can you even imagine it? Do you even think it is possible? Do you think it would be too difficult to even try?
Let me tell you…I have DONE IT. I don’t manage it every single year, but I have attained that feeling on January 1st and IT IS AMAZING.
So, how do you do it? Here’s how:
1) SKIP THE HALLOWEEN CANDY: If you want to start this plan AFTER Halloween so you can have some candy, then that is your choice…but I choose to skip the candy. See Heidi’s tips here for more ideas on how to do that: http://www.9010nutrition.com/blog/happy-healthy-halloween-how-tos/
2) PLAN YOUR CHEATS: I will plan to “relax” on Thanksgiving Day during the main meal and allow myself ONE dessert. I will look forward to that meal as a time when I can completely relax my nutrition and eat anything that I fancy. I may have more alcohol than I normally would (within reason) and I may eat too many simple carbs….but I won’t beat myself up about it. I will also plan the same thing for Christmas Day and one other day in reserve for a party that I might get invited to. You never know…I have a couple of friends…I think.
3) DON’T LET CHEAT DAYS TURN INTO CHEAT WEEKS: When your planned cheat days are over, that’s it…no leftover pie. Give it away, throw it away, send it home with relatives, etc. Stick to your cheat day and nothing more!
4) SET A WORKOUT/ACTIVITY GOAL FOR YOURSELF: Leading up to your cheat/relax days, set yourself a physical activity goal. This could be anything from completing a program like 21 day Fix, P90X, Insanity or a program your gym is offering to signing up for a Christmas 5k or half marathon that you can train for. Just find a goal that requires you to accomplish some movement every day during the holidays. My plan: 4 more weeks of Body Beast with T25 added in, then 21 day Ultimate Reset Cleanse after Thanksgiving, and then start the new workout program “Hammer and Chisel” in December. My goals are all set and on my calendar!!!!!
5) SET SPECIFIC NUTRITION GOALS FOR YOURSELF: Leading up to your cheat/relax days, plan out your nutrition program and follow it perfectly! Add more veggies, skip the desserts, cut out the alcohol, etc. BE STRICT WITH YOURSELF and say NO to things that don’t meet your goals and keep in mind that you have a relax day coming up where you can be less strict.
What’s your plan to come out of the holidays even more fit than you are now..instead of feeling like you need a resolution?