Tex-Mex Taco Salad is a favorite with the family. It’s easy to put together, the amount of spice is adjustable, and it’s healthy.
- 1 lb ground beef 90% lean or leaner, or ground turkey breast
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 oz
- 1/4 cup 90/10 Taco Seasoning recipe follows
- 1 head romaine lettuce sliced into thin ribbons
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained, 15 oz
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 tomato large ripe, diced
- 1 cup salsa no sugar listed in ingredients
- Black olives
- sour cream
- baked tortilla chips see notes
90/10 Taco Seasoning
- 1/3 cup Chili Powder
- 1/3 cup cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Brown beef in a large skillet until no longer pink. Add 1/4 c. taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water and tomato sauce. Simmer 10 min or until thickened.
- Arrange lettuce evenly in 4 large bowls. Top with taco meat, cheese, beans, corn, tomatoes, and salsa. Add any additional toppings you may desire.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl using a whisk. Store in zip top plastic bag in freezer for maximum freshness.