These healthy skillet spirals use only real ingredients and 100% whole grain pasta. Plus, it’s an entire meal in one (no sides needed). My kids will eat their veggies this way any time.
- 8 oz 100% whole wheat rotini
- 2 cups broccoli cut into florets
- 2 cups cauliflower cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes 15 oz
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 green onion chopped
- 3 Tbsp 100% whole wheat flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup gouda cheese shredded, divided
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Add pasta. Cook 4 minutes. Add broccoli and cauliflower. Cook 6 minutes. Drain, return to pan, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add green onions and cook 1 min. Add flour and stir until smooth. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 c of each the gouda and the cheddar. Stir until smooth.
- Add cheese sauce to broccoli mixture. Add the can of tomatoes. Stir well. Return to skillet. Preheat broiler. Sprinkle parmesan and remaining cheeses over the top. Broil 3-5
- Preheat broiler. Sprinkle parmesan and remaining cheeses over the top. Broil 3-5 minutes or until cheeses begin to bubble and brown (it will go fast).
This Post Has 2 Comments
Can’t wait to try this one.
Made this tonight. Mixed reviews from the family….may have to try it next time without the tomatoes. I do have plenty left over for the lunches on my meal plan for this week!