This is one of my go-to recipes when I have to serve a bunch of different dietary needs in one go, and I don’t want to make a bunch of different meals. I simply make this soup, then serve the cooked, shredded chicken and the cooked, drained noodles on the side. Everyone can build their own bowl exactly how they want it. Vegan? Done. Gluten free? Done. Meat lover? Done. And it makes a lot so there’s usually leftovers.
- 2 potato baking, small, diced
- 4 carrot larged, peeled and diced
- 1 bunch celery with tops, diced
- 2 onion large, diced
- 10 cups vegetable broth
- 2 zucchini medium, diced
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- 1/4 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes 15 oz, undrained
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 package 100% whole grain egg noodles or any whole grain noodle
- Place potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and broth in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes. (Meanwhile, if desired, add chicken to a separate pot of boiling water.)
- When potatoes are tender, add zucchini, cilantro, parsley and tomatoes. Simmer 15 minutes more. (Meanwhile, if desired, boil noodles as directed on package. If including, remove chicken from boiling water and shred; set aside.) When noodles are done, drain and set aside.
- For veggie soup, serve warm in a bowl.
- For chicken noodle soup, add desired portions of noodles and chicken to a bowl. Top with soup.