This Instant Pot Black Bean Soup is a true “from scratch” recipe, as it even uses the Instant Pot to cook the beans from dry to tender with no soaking first. (Gotta love it!) Adjust the heat for your tastes by increasing or decreasing the red pepper flakes.
Check out our other Instant Pot recipes HERE.
This recipe was adapted from perfectionpending.net.
- 3 cups black beans dry, or 6 cans canned beans
- 2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes divided
- 2 cans green chiles diced, divided
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup vegetable broth no sugar listed in ingredients
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce no sugar listed in ingredients
- cheddar cheese for garnish, optional
- avocado sliced, for garnish, optional
- If you are using canned beans, skip this step. Add beans to IP. Cover with 6 cups water. Lock lid. Set valve to sealing. Cook on manual-high 37 minutes. NPR completely.
- Drain beans. Remove beans from IP and set aside. Clean or rinse insert. Take half the beans, 1 can tomatoes, and 1 can green chiles and place in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Add oil to IP. Using sauté function, cook onions 3 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook 1 more minute. Add broth; bring to a simmer. Let simmer 1 minute. Hit cancel.
- Add bean mixture from blender to IP, along with remaining whole beans. Add remaining tomatoes and green chiles. Add worcestershire and red pepper flakes. Stir well. Keep on sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until heated through. Garnish with cheddar and avocado, if desired.
- To freeze, make soup as directed above, then spoon into freezer-safe containers. Reheat in microwave.
This Post Has 2 Comments
I cannot wait to make this in my IP!
I need to try this in my IP! I’m amazed that dried beans can get done so quickly!