These amazing little beauties are able to be made ahead, freezable, slow cooker-able, and instant-pot-able. And, yes I just made up a bunch of words for this intro. Chalk it up to creative license and then go make some of these breakfast peppers!
Check out our blog on breakfast for dinner. This would be a great recipe for that.
- 9 oz clean breakfast sausage no sugar added, see notes
- 2 tsp unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles drained
- 10 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 bell pepper any color, halved and seeded
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- Chop sausage into small bits. Heat 1 tsp butter in a medium skillet. Add sausage and tomato mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, until heated through and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm. Wipe pan with paper towel.
- While sausage is cooking, crack eggs into a medium bowl. Add salt and pepper. Whip until well combined and beginning to froth, using a whisk or a fork. Heat remaining butter in same skillet. Add eggs. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are cooked through. Add sausage mixture to the eggs and mix well.
To cook immediately, oven method:
- Follow instructions above, and arrange bell pepper halves cut side up in a baking dish. Fill with sausage and egg mixture. Top with cheese. Bake at 350 15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Serve with salsa, if desired.
To cook immediately, slow cooker method:
- Follow instructions above. Arrange bell pepper halves, cut side up, to the crock of a slow cooker. Fill with egg mixture. Top with cheese. Cook on low 1 hour or on high 30 minutes.
- Follow instructions above. Fill each pepper with egg mixture and top with cheese (about 1/4 cup of cheese per pepper). Wrap in foil, and freeze.
To cook after freezing, all methods:
- To cook after freezing, unwrap from foil and microwave 2-3 minutes or until hot. OR add foil-wrapped peppers to a slow cooker. Cook on high 2 hours. OR to cook in an instant pot, add the trivet to the insert and add 1/2 cup water to the bottom of the insert. Place the foil wrapped peppers on the trivet. Lock lid. Set valve to sealing. Program for manual-high, and 2 minutes. Choose NPR (natural pressure release) or QR (quick release), whichever is your preference.