This Mango Smoothie is really a Mango Coconut Jamu. Jamu is a traditional Indonesian turmeric tonic that has been made for centuries. With endless variations, some recipes including botanical ingredients such as flowers, fruits, seeds, bark, leaves, and roots, it’s fun to be creative with exotic blends, with a touch sweetener such as honey (yellow tier) to mellow out the bitter edge. If you don’t have access to coconuts, just use canned coconut milk instead for a decadent, tropical treat. And as for the turmeric, use as much as you can handle. The recipe calls for only half a teaspoon of fresh turmeric, but I probably put in twice that amount. There are many benefits to turmeric and putting it in a smoothie is an excellent way to include it in your diet!
- 1 mango medium
- 1/2 frozen banana to your taste (or your favorite sweetener)
- flesh from 1 young coconut
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric or ¼ tsp. dried turmeric powder
- 2-3 ice cubes if desired
- Peel and cut mango into chunks.
- Place in a blender with all other ingredients and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Sweeten to taste. Enjoy immediately.