Aw, look! It’s mac-n-cheese, all grown up. We took this classic children’s favorite (and let’s face it, we adults adore it too) and matured it a little (See what I did there? Man, I’m cheesy!) and gave it some greens not only for nutrients and flavor, but to make this a craveable, healthy one dish wonder. Don’t you just love that? You must try this healthy Instant Pot Mac and Cheese.
- 1 lb 100% whole wheat pasta we used elbows but any shape will do
- 4 cups vegetable broth no sugar listed in ingredients
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1/4 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 3/4 cup mozzarella grated
- 1 bag frozen chopped kale see notes
- Add pasta and vegetable broth to the instant pot. Lock lid; set valve to sealing. Program for manual-high and 4 minutes. Use Quick Release at the end of the cooking cycle.
- Remove pasta from pot. Keep warm. Add butter to pot and push sauté. Add garlic. Saute garlic in butter 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk in flour until smooth. Continue to cook, whisking frequently, 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in 4 cups milk. Whisk until smooth.
- Combine remaining milk and cornstarch. Stir cornstarch slurry into pot, stirring until smooth. Bring to a boil and stir until thickened. Push cancel.
- Stir pasta, cheeses, and kale into the sauce; keep stirring until cheese is melted and everything is heated through.