If you’re sick of grilling the same old chicken breasts, try this Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa. Salmon is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids which can help lower your risk of heart disease and are considered an anti-inflammatory aid.
When choosing your salmon, you want to make sure that it is wild caught, not farmed, because farmed salmon have been shown to have many issues included a higher level of PCBs and pollutants, increased amounts of sea lice and are prone to disease due to overcrowding. All Alaskan salmon is wild caught.
There are 6 different species of salmon commonly eaten in the United States. When choosing a salmon for grilling, the sockeye species is the best option but the king (or chinook) is another great tasting option with a bit milder flavor.
Using a wood plank for grilling is a great option to help keep your salmon steak in one piece while grilling.
Here’s a great recipe to get you started grilling with salmon!
- 1 1/2 lbs salmon fillet skinned and sliced into 4 equal portions
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus more for grill
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 avocado peeled, cored and diced, ripe but semi-firm
- 1/3 cup red onion diced
- 3 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat a gas grill over medium-high heat.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, lime juice, ancho chili powder, cumin, onion powder, paprika, coriander, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Evenly rub mixture over both sides of salmon.
- Brush grill lightly with oil, place salmon on grill and cook, rotating once halfway through cooking, until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- In a mixing bowl, gently toss together diced avocado, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice and olive oil, while seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve avocado salsa on top of grilled salmon.