There are few things more satisfying than a fresh toasted bagel with cream cheese, or, as I’ve heard it is called in other regions, “bagel with shmear”. Chewy and golden, they are loaded with flavor and are perfect any time of day (not just for breakfast). There are no preservatives in these clean eating bagels, so use within one day or freeze. See our suggestions for leftover bagels (if you have any) below.
- 1 cup water warm
- 3 egg divided
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter soft
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 4 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 3/4 tsp yeast bread machine yeast preferred
- 2 Tbsp baking soda
- asiago cheese grated, optional
- sesame seeds optional
- dried minced onion optional
- dried minced garlic optional
- poppyseeds optional
- Place warm water, 2 eggs, butter, and honey into the bowl of a stand mixer. (This recipe not recommended for hand mixing.) Add flour. Add salt to the side of the bowl and add yeast to the center of the flour.
- Fit mixer with dough hook. Turn mixer to 1 and let knead 5 minutes or until dough ball forms and cleans sides of bowl.
- Working on a lightly floured work surface, divide dough into fourths, then into fourths again (16 pieces). Form each piece into a ball. Using your finger, poke a hole through the center of a ball. Spin the dough ball around your finger to stretch the hole to the size you want it (note that the hole will shrink as soon as you stop). Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Let rest 15 minutes.
- While dough is resting, bring 3-4 quarts of water and 2 tablespoons baking soda to a boil. Preheat oven to 375. Using a slotted spoon or spatula, slowly add each bagel to the boiling water (work in batches so as not to over crowd the pot). Bagels will sink, then float. Once floating, turn over and let boil 3 more minutes. Place bagels back onto prepared baking sheet.
- Make an egg glaze by beating the yolk from the remaining egg (discard white or save for another use) with 3 tablespoons water. Brush glaze onto each bagel and top as desired.
- Bake at 375 30-35 minutes.