We saw a recipe come across the Facebook news feed from Tastemade and knew we had to give it some 90/10 modifications and see if we could come up with a healthy version of these Meatzarella Sticks that wasn’t deep fried.
These came out AMAZING. The kids fought over them.
- 1 lb ground turkey 90% lean or leaner
- 4 oz mozzarella fresh
- 2 egg
- 1 cup 100% whole wheat flour divided
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide ground turkey into 8 equal parts. Work each piece of meat into an oblong, flat shape. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and salt.
- Cut fresh mozzarella into thin strips (approx 1/2 ounce per strip). You may also use shredded mozzarella. Add mozzarella strips to each meat patty.
- Roll the meat around the mozzarella to form the shape of a mozzarella stick (they will be larger than most mozzarella sticks).
- Add 1/4 cup of flour to a shallow dish. Add 2 eggs (beaten) to a second shallow dish. Add 3/4 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of corn meal to a third shallow dish or bowl.
- Coat each piece of meat/cheese in the first dish of flour, then dredge in the egg, and finally coat with flour/cornmeal mixture. Place each piece on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400F for 20 min. Turn each piece and bake for 10 more min. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.