Loaded with nourishing fresh turnips and a hearty amount of flavorful cheese, these keto scalloped turnips are so much like their potato counterpart that most people probably wouldn’t even know they’re vegetables unless you told them. And it’s okay with me if you want to keep that a secret, at least until after they rave about it!
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 each turnip
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 6 Tbsp vegetable broth
- 8 oz gruyere cheese grated
- 1 tsp salt optional
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375. Add cream cheese and milk to a blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Peel turnips and slice very thinly. (Mandolin or food processor works best.)
- Heat large oven-proof skillet over medium-low heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter. When butter is melted, arrange turnips in a single layer over the melted butter. Top with an additional 1 Tbsp butter and 1 teaspoon garlic. Pour 2 tablespoons broth over turnips. Pour 1/2 cup cream cheese mixture over the turnips. Add 1/3 the cheese over the turnips.
- Repeat layers two more times: 1 layer of turnips, 1 tablespoon butter, 1 teaspoon garlic, 2 tablespoons broth, 1/2 cup cream cheese mixture, 1/3 the cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until turnips are tender and dish is bubbly and browned on top.
Add this keto scalloped turnips recipe to your favorite Pinterest boards so you don’t lose it. Use the pin icon on the image below (hover to see it on desktop). This would go great on keto boards, side dish boards, and more.