Instant Pot Chicken and Brown Rice is a complete meal all in the Instant Pot. It has veggies (and you can add more), chicken, and brown rice all cooked together into a tasty one pot meal.
This recipe was adapted from and inspired kristineskitchenblog.com.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 each onion small, chopped
- 2 each carrot large, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 2 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 2 cups brown rice uncooked
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups Chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- fresh parsley optional garnish
- parmesan cheese optional, grated
- Press "sauté" on the Instant Pot and then add the butter. Let the butter melt and then add the chopped onion, garlic and carrot.
- Sauté the garlic, carrots and onions for 3-5 minutes. They don't need to be soft.
- Add the brown rice, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and continue to sauté for another 3 minutes. Push "cancel" on the Instant Pot to turn it off.
- Add the chicken broth, mix well, and scrape the bottom and edges of the insert pot. Make sure all of the rice and veggies are in the liquid and are not stuck to the side or bottom of the insert.
- Add the chicken on top of the rice mixture. Do not mix. Just leave the chicken on top.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and set the valve to "sealing". Program for manual-high and 22 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for at least 10 minutes after the cook time has ended, then release the rest of the pressure by carefully moving the valve to "venting".
- Remove the lid and remove the chicken to a cutting board. Add the frozen peas and the chopped mushrooms to the rice mixture in the Instant Pot and stir well.
- Put the lid back on the Instant Pot and move the valve to sealing. Do not turn the Instant Pot on. Leave sealed for 5 minutes and then release the pressure that has built up by moving the valve to venting.
- Chop the chicken or shred with 2 forks. Remove the lid of the Instant Pot and add the chicken back to the pot and mix well.
- Serve in bowls with fresh parsley and Parmesan.
- Add butter to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, garlic, and carrot. Sauté 3-5 minutes. Meanwhile, dice the chicken into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, and continue to sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth. Mix well. Add diced chicken and bring to a boil. Boil 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Reduce heat; add rice, peas, and mushrooms. Cook for 60 minutes or until the rice is tender. Serve in bowls with fresh parsley.
This Post Has 4 Comments
Can’t wait to try this!
I made this tonight! Delicious, definitely going into my normal rotation. We used chicken thighs, because it’s what I happened to have, but I think I’d prefer it with the breasts. Love, love, loved that it had peas in it. Real comfort food!
Thank you, Stacey! So glad you loved it!
Just made this, I would suggest only 1.5 – 2 minutes for the rice to saute before adding chx. Stock. I also added 1/2 cup corn before cooking and 3/4 cup of peas right after I opened it when it finished natural release. Good recipe I will make again. MAKE SURE YOU SEASON THE CHICKEN BEFORE YOU PUT IT IN THE INSTANT POT. LOL