I love these “one pot wonders,” where the veggies and the proteins are all cooked together, and then dumped (or, if you’re so inclined, neatly arranged) on top of a starch. It’s like an all-in-one and a 1-2-3 Eat! combined! You and your family will LOVE this healthy Italian chicken flatbread recipe, so stick it (the recipe, not the actual chicken) in your back pocket, and enjoy!
Instant Pot Instructions Included!
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 red onion vertically sliced
- 1 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini finely diced
- 3 compari tomato thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pint baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup marinara no sugar listed in ingredients, more if slow cooking
- 1 cup fresh basil sliced into ribbons
- 6 each 100% whole grain flatbread no high fructose corn syrup, see notes
- Program Instant Pot for sauté. Add oil. When oil is hot, add garlic, onion, and both colors of bell pepper. Sauté 4 minutes.
- Add salt, marinara, and chicken. Seal pot. Set valve to sealing. Program for manual-high and reduce time to 12 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot. Shred chicken with two forks. Add chicken back to instant pot along with mushrooms, zucchini, and tomatoes. Program for sauté. Sauté 5 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
- Warm flatbread in microwave 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, arrange chicken mixture on flatbread. Sprinkle with basil ribbons.
- Add chicken, garlic, onions, bell peppers to slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt. Add marinara and 1 cup water (or two cups marinara, if preferred). Cook on low 6 hours (or 8 hours if chicken is frozen).
- Shred chicken. Add mushrooms, zucchini and tomatoes. Cook on high 15 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, serve chicken, sauce, and veggies on warmed flatbread.