Your grill, forever banished to the out of doors, never invited inside with the family, will find a new home in your heart, if not in your kitchen, after it produces these little beauties. Similar to a Bloomin’ Onion, but without the breading and without the deep frying, these grilled cheesy onion blooms make a unique and interesting side dish to just about any meal, but we made them with The Perfect Steak and Cheesy Garlic Cauliflower for a 1-2-3 Eat! meal.
- 4 each vidalia onion peeled but not stemmed
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup asiago cheese
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Slice tops off onions. Leave root end in tact. Slice onions vertically, from the top to almost to the bottom, stopping the cut at about 1/2 inch before the root. Repeat cuts until there is a blossom-like onion. Carefully separate petals and place on a flat grill pan or flat foil baking sheet.
- Preheat grill over medium heat. Combine paprika, garlic, cayenne, italian, and asiago until well combined. Sprinkle over onions. Drizzle onions with oil. Grill 15-30 minutes or until onions are soft and beginning to char. Remove from heat and sprinkle with parsley.
This Post Has 2 Comments
I wonder if this would also be delicious under the broiler…
These look delicious