When I made this gluten free cheeseburger pie the first time, my wife seemed a little skeptical at first. Then she proclaimed that this one is a KEEPER! A gluten free, almond flour “biscuit” crust surrounds traditional burger ingredients and puts a whole new spin on the Cheeseburger. This is a great one to serve when company is coming over. Who doesn’t love a good burger?
Gluten Free Crust
- 4 cups blanched almond flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 4 egg beaten
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter melted (measure solid and then melt)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb ground beef 90% lean or leaner
- 1 onion medium, chopped (optional)
- 4 slices cheddar cheese or 1/2-3/4 cup shredded, (optional)
- Ketchup no sugar listed in ingredients (optional, see notes)
- mustard (optional)
- dill pickle slices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- Mix all of the crust ingredients together in a large bowl until it forms a thick dough.
- Spread about half (maybe a little more than half) of the dough in the bottom of a greased pie pan (coconut oil works great). You won't be able to roll the dough out and put it in as one piece. Just take small pieces of it and spread it to about 1/4 inch thick until you have covered the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Bake the bottom part of the crust in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. The edges should start to brown. If you use a metal pie pan instead of a stone like I used, it may take less time so keep an eye on it. Your goal is to just get it set and starting to brown.
- While the bottom crust is cooking, brown the ground beef and the chopped onion in a skillet until no longer pink. Drain any excess grease.
- When the bottom crust is done baking, remove it from the oven and add the ground beef and onion mixture.
- Top with sliced or shredded cheese.
- Now add any burger condiments you like. We chose Organicville ketchup, yellow mustard, and dill pickle slices.
- Now take the remaining crust dough and cover the filling and join to the bottom crust along the edges. Again, you'll have to go in pieces as shown.
- Bake the pie at 350 deg for approximately 20 minutes or until the edges of the top crust begin to brown. Allow the pie to rest for 5-10 minutes and then slice like a pie and serve.
This Post Has One Comment
Oh my! Going into the meal plan!