Whole Grain Pitas, with real pockets and everything, are not hard to make at all! They are great for our Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros, our Homemade Hummus, Fired Up Chicken Pitas, and whatever else you can think of as an excuse to eat one…or two.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp honey or agave
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp yeast
- Warm water in microwave 1 minute on high. Add water to bowl of stand mixer. Add honey, olive oil, and flour. Add salt to the side of the bowl. Add yeast to the center.
- Fit mixer with dough hook. Turn to speed 1 and let knead 5 minutes or until dough ball forms and cleans sides of the bowl. (Add more water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, if dough ball is too dry. Add more flour, 1 Tablespoon at a time, if dough ball is too sticky.)
- Divide dough ball in half. Wrap one half in plastic wrap and set aside. Cut remaining half into 5 equal portions. Roll each portion into a flat circle, about 1/4 inch thick. Arrange circles on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rest 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough ball.
- After they've been resting 15 minutes, add a baking stone to the oven and preheat oven to 450. Place baking sheet on stone and bake 10-12 minutes or until puffed and lightly golden. Remove from oven and repeat with the other baking sheet.
This Post Has One Comment
Seem easy enough. Will have to try soon.