There are 23 ingredients in Tuna Helper®, including MSG, Maltodextrin, and Corn Syrup. There are 12 ingredients in our healthy Tuna Noodle Casserole, all of which are on the green tier! Free yourself from the confines of a box, and find out just how good homemade tastes (and feels!)
- 8 oz 100% whole grain egg noodles or any whole grain noodle (SEE NOTES)
- 1 cup frozen sliced carrots
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 cup frozen diced onions
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 3 Tbsp 100% whole wheat flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard no sugar listed in ingredients
- 3 cans canned tuna in water, 6 oz each
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup 100% whole wheat panko or make your own (SEE NOTES)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350.
- While pasta is cooking, in a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon butter until melted. Add carrots, celery, and onion. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir vegetables into pasta.
- In the pan used for vegetables, melt remaining butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk, about 1/4 cup at a time. Stir until smooth and thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir into pasta mixture. Stir in tuna, peas, and mustard.
- Pour pasta mixture into a casserole dish. Top with parmesan and panko. Bake at 350 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Add noodles and 4 cups water to instant pot insert. Lock lid. Set valve to sealing. Program for manual-high and 4 minutes.
- When cook time is up, choose quick release or natural pressure release (either is fine for this recipe).
- While noodles are cooking, heat 1 tablespoon butter in a medium skillet. Once melted, add celery, carrots, and onions. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir vegetables into pasta.
- In same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter until melted. Stir in flour. Slowly stir in milk and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tuna and butter mixture to pasta and vegetables. Add dijon mustard and peas. Stir well. Top with parmesan and panko. Program for sauté. Cook 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve.
This Post Has 4 Comments
I subbed Chicken for the tuna. Loved it!
Looking forward to trying this in the Instant Pot soon!
This is on my menu for later this week.
Will be making this more often. Whole family lived it!