There are 23 ingredients in Tuna Helper®, including MSG, Maltodextrin, and Corn Syrup. There are 12 ingredients in our healthy Tuna Noodle Casserole, all of which are on the green tier! Free yourself from the confines of a box, and find out just how good homemade tastes (and feels!)
- 8 oz 100% whole grain egg noodles or any whole grain noodle (SEE NOTES)
- 1 cup frozen sliced carrots
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 cup frozen diced onions
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 3 Tbsp 100% whole wheat flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard no sugar listed in ingredients
- 3 cans canned tuna in water, 6 oz each
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup 100% whole wheat panko or make your own (SEE NOTES)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350.
- While pasta is cooking, in a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon butter until melted. Add carrots, celery, and onion. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir vegetables into pasta.
- In the pan used for vegetables, melt remaining butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk, about 1/4 cup at a time. Stir until smooth and thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir into pasta mixture. Stir in tuna, peas, and mustard.
- Pour pasta mixture into a casserole dish. Top with parmesan and panko. Bake at 350 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Add noodles and 4 cups water to instant pot insert. Lock lid. Set valve to sealing. Program for manual-high and 4 minutes.
- When cook time is up, choose quick release or natural pressure release (either is fine for this recipe).
- While noodles are cooking, heat 1 tablespoon butter in a medium skillet. Once melted, add celery, carrots, and onions. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir vegetables into pasta.
- In same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter until melted. Stir in flour. Slowly stir in milk and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tuna and butter mixture to pasta and vegetables. Add dijon mustard and peas. Stir well. Top with parmesan and panko. Program for sauté. Cook 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve.