This post is by a wonderful member of our 90/10 Community: Irene Herold
Eating 90/10 is a way of life, so while traveling or attending business meetings here are some tips that may help you. Apply the planning you do at home to planning for your travel.
- Take public transportation and get in a walk to your hotel.
- Have only wheeled luggage.
- Plan dinners near your hotel and walk to the restaurant.
- Check in advance for hotel fitness centers & pack your workout clothes.
- If no center, then make sure you have walking shoes.
- Create a goal for the number of times you will use the fitness center or walk outside.
- After clearing airport security purchase a bottle of water and sip it throughout the flight.
- Always accept the glass of water in flight.
- Do not toss that bottle away! Refill it from the hotel tap — no excuses for not drinking half your body weight in ounces of H2O each day.
Food on the flight:
- Don’t leave home without your own snacks.
- Go to products are LaraBars, unsalted nuts, and carrot.
Eating during your stay:
- Look at the buffet and plan what to place on your plate.
- I stick with the idea of 3/4ths of my plate should be veggies and 1/4th protein.
- Always look at a restaurant menu online first and plan what to order.
- Be creative – you may find a salad or side vegetable and an appetizers makes a satisfying meal.
- If ordering an entrée, ask for extra vegetables if the starch is not a healthy choice.
- Look for something 90/10 (eggs, etc.) for breakfast, or drink the hotel room coffee and eat a LaraBar. Another option is Starbucks oatmeal with just the nuts and raisins.
The success of these tips is in the fact that I travel a lot, but have not gained weight. Knowing travel will not be a setback inspires me to continue to keep on my healthy eating journey. I am sure many of you have strategies too and I look forward to learning about them.