File this one away under “weeknight special,” because that’s exactly what it is. Quick, easy, loaded with both flavor and color, this stuffed tilapia is great for both entertaining and just a normal weeknight.
This recipe was adapted from thewholesomedish.com
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach thawed
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper divided
- 4 tilapia filet 4-6 oz each, thawed
- 1 lemon sliced, optional, for garnish
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped, optional, for garnish
- Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Cut the pepper in half lengthwise. Remove stems, seeds, and membranes. Place the pepper halves cut side down on a baking sheet. Flatten with the palm of your hand. Broil 15 minutes or until skin is blackened and blistery. Remove from oven and place in a zip top plastic bag. Seal and let stand for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 375.
- While pepper is cooking and standing, Spray a 13X9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. Beat egg in a medium bowl. Add ricotta cheese, and mix until smooth. Stir in feta, spinach, almond meal, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- When pepper has stood at room temperature for 10 minutes, remove from bag and carefully remove skin. Discard skin. Dice bell pepper and stir into cheese mixture.
- Place 1/4 cheese mixture on 1 tilapia filet. Roll fish around filling, and secure with toothpicks. Place seam side down in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining filling and tilapia filets. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork. Garnish with fresh lemon slices and fresh parsley, if desired.