While fresh jackfruit is an acquired taste, young green jackfruit has no distinct flavor and lends itself well to any flavorings or sauces given to it. It also shreds much like cooked chicken, so it makes a great plant-based substitute for many recipes. This vegan jackfruit dish is just one of several we have on the site.
- 2 cups brown jasmine rice
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 can green young jackfruit rinsed, drained, and shredded
- 1 zucchini cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 3 green onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup peanuts roasted and salted
- 3 Tbsp sesame seeds toasted, for garnish, optional
Maple Soy Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
- Cook rice according to package directions. Or, if using an Instant Pot®, add 2 cups rice and 2 cups water to the IP insert. Lock lid, set valve to sealing. Program for manual-high and 22 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, prepare vegetables and set aside.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When rice is done cooking, stir in vegetables and dressing. Serve topped with peanuts and sesame seeds. (This recipe is suitable for either Natural Pressure Release or Quick Release if using the Instant Pot®.)
Save this one to your favorite Pinterest boards so you don’t lose it. This one would go great on vegan or vegetarian boards. Or maybe a “meatless Monday” board if you have one. Use the Pinterest button below (hover to see it on desktop).