- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1.5 cups quinoa uncooked
- 1 can black beans 15 oz
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles 10 oz
- 1/2 cup salsa no sugar in ingredients
- 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup sweet bell peppers
- 1 cup water
- 1 can enchilada sauce 19 oz, no sugar listed in the ingredients. See notes.
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 1/3 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- In a large skillet, cook the ground turkey until browned through. Drain out any grease and place in the slow cooker. Add in the uncooked quinoa (make sure to rinse first), the black beans (drained and rinsed), the frozen corn, the diced tomatoes and green chilies (do not drain), the salsa (I used medium), and minced garlic. Chop up the onion and sweet bell pepper into small pieces. Add to the slow cooker. If desired chop up a jalapeno and add it too. Add in the water, enchilada sauce (I used mild, but use whatever you like best), chili powder, and cumin. Stir everything together really well. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 to 3 and 1/2 hours or until the liquid is all absorbed into the mixture. Once it is done cooking, remove the lid and stir everything again. Stir in the cheese and fresh cilantro (stems removed and chopped). If desired add in the fresh lime juice. Add a dollop of sour cream and some chopped green onions if desired. **If you want to make these into more of traditional enchiladas: warm up the tortillas, spread some cheese on one side, a large spoonful of the mixture on top of the cheese, and more cheese on top of the mixture. Roll it up and top with more salsa or enchilada sauce. Add sour cream, green onions, and cilantro if desired.
Freezer Meal Prep
- Dump everything but the last two ingredients in a freezer bag. When ready to cook, cook on high 4 hours or low 6 hours. Top with cheese and cilantro.