Santa Fe Chicken Pasta Casserole is a delightful mix of green chiles, pasta (gluten free if desired), chicken, and jack cheese. Enjoy.
- 9 oz 100% whole grain bowtie pasta cooked according to package directions, drained
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup frozen diced onions
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 Tbsp 100% whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup Chicken broth no sugar listed in ingredients
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cans green chiles
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast cooked and diced
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar-jack cheese grated
- 1 box 100% whole grain crackers optional, see notes
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease 3 quart casserole dish.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add broccoli, onion, and pepper. Cook 3 minutes and remove from skillet. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add flour and stir constantly. Slowly stir in milk, broth, and cumin. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add green chiles, broccoli mixture, chicken, 1 cup cheese, and pasta to sauce in pan. Stir well.
- Add chicken mixture to prepared casserole dish. Cover, and bake at 325 for 25 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- To freeze, follow instructions as written, but do not bake. Freeze until ready to use.
- To cook after freezing, thaw completely. Bake as directed.