The only reason that we haven’t had a fresh Pico de Gallo recipe on our site before this was because it’s just so simple it almost doesn’t even feel like a recipe! It’s also true that you can generally get pretty clean pico de gallo at the grocery store that is still pretty fresh. I know our local Safeway makes it almost daily and it’s pretty good, but there is still something to wonderful about the truly fresh and homemade version. So, here’s a simple and super tasty recipe for authentic, fresh pico de gallo.
Be sure to make these baked tortilla chips with it so you don’t have to get the fried ones at the store!
- 5 each roma tomato
- 1/2 white onion large
- 1 jalapeno fresh
- 2 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro loosely packed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dice tomatoes and onion into small chunks and add to a medium bowl.
- Remove the stem from the jalapeno. Cut the pepper in half and remove the seeds and ribs with a spoon. Dice the remaining parts of the pepper very small and add the bowl.
- Chop the cilantro well and add it to the bowl as well.
- Juice both limes into the bowl, add the salt and stir thoroughly.
- You can serve immediately or let the flavors meld a bit in the fridge first. I like it either way.