This Italian Drunken Noodles recipe was inspired by and adapted from thecozyapron.com. While drunken noodles is traditionally a Thai dish with a different flavor profile, we loved the idea of making an Italian version of it. You can make this with sausage or easily make it vegetarian as noted below.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup frozen diced onions
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 12 oz uncured chicken sausage optional, see notes
- 14.5 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup red wine or 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 lb 100% whole wheat pappardelle
- 1 jar roasted red bell peppers drained
- 2 tsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Slice sausage on the bias (or just in discs).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion, and garlic. Saute for about about 3 minutes. Add sausage (optional) and continue to saute until onions are soft. If not adding sausage, just saute until onions are soft (8-10 minutes).
- Add tomatoes and wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While tomatoes are simmering, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Add peppers, pasta, salt, and pepper to tomato mixture. Mix well. Serve with fresh basil and parmesan.