This one comes to us from one of our long-time members, Irene Herold. She sent this to us in response to our Chili Cook-off blog, so we made it and added it to our member recipe database. This turned out really good just like Irene said!
- 3 boneless pork chop center cut, see notes
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 onion large, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1 Tbsp cumin or to taste
- 1 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- 2 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup brown rice uncooked
- 8 oz salsa verde see notes
- 1 can green chiles diced, 6 oz.
- 4 cups Chicken broth or vegetable
- 8 garlic clove
- Place ingredients in crockpot (onion first, then rice, garlic, spices, beans, chiles, and meat on top). Pour the broth in last.
- Simmer on low for 8 hours or until meat falls apart.
- Shred meat with two forks, remove bay leaves and dish into bowls.
- Serve with sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, corn tortillas, more chopped cilantro, and salsas (red or green) as desired.