Zuppa Toscana, yes. For sure. But vegan Zuppa Toscana? Come on. As one of my friends once said, “What’s in it? Water and Kale?” And, while water and kale MIGHT find themselves in this dish, they are neither the stars nor the lone ingredients. And, for me, the recipe is better for being vegan. Who needs meat and dairy anyway? Not this!
- 4 links vegan Italian sausage chopped, see notes
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion diced, or 1 cup frozen diced onion
- 2 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 2 hannah sweet potatoes peeled, halved, and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 6 cups vegetable broth no sugar added
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups frozen chopped kale
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese no red tier ingredients, see notes
- Add oil to IP and push saute. When oil is hot, add onions. Cook 5 minutes or until onions are translucent, stirring frequently. Add the Italian sausage. Cook another 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic. Cook 1 minute. Press cancel.
- Add potatoes, broth, and water. Lock lid; set valve to sealing. Program for manual-high and 5 minutes. When cook time ends, allow for natural pressure release for 10 minutes. Carefully push valve open to release the remaining pressure. Open lid and stir in cream cheese and kale. Stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.