‘Tis the season of the mashed potato. Well, not really. I mean, there’s not really a “season” for mashed potatoes, is there? I mean, it’s now October, so we are getting close to Thanksgiving and mashed potatoes is more than iconic for that holiday, but other than that, is there really a time when mashed potatoes aren’t welcome? They are just as happy along side The Perfect Grilled Steak as they are married to a heaping pile of Heidi’s Never-Fail Meatloaf.
Except, if you follow 90/10 Nutrition, mashed potatoes are yellow tier at best. And, if you’re anything like me, the yellow tier is sacred and reserved for the REALLY special stuff, the stuff for which there is no substitute. (Ahem, wine.) Enter, Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Mashed sweet potatoes can “stand in” for mashed potatoes in any instance. (Except, to me, the white stuff is the stand-in and the orange stuff is the real deal. But, until the culture around mashed white potatoes changes, I’ll allow sweet potatoes to be considered the sub.)
Also, you can make frozen sweet potato packs and have them ready any time. Check out the instructions here.
- 4 each sweet potato large
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Peel potatoes. Add 1 cup water to the bottom of an instant pot. Add trivet. Place peeled potatoes on top of trivet. Lock lid; set valve to sealing. Program for manual-high and 20 minutes. Allow for natural pressure release.
- Remove potatoes and mash. I use an immersion blender, but a potato masher or even a fork will work also.
- Add mashed potatoes to a freezer-safe container, in any quantity you desire. (I freeze them in 4 serving quantities in quart freezer bags.) Freeze.
To Heat After Freezing
- remove from bag and place frozen potatoes in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and vent. Microwave on high 2 minutes. Stir. Microwave 2 minutes longer. Check. If they’re not hot enough, microwave on high in 30 sec increments, stirring after each increment, until they’ve reached desired temperature.
This Post Has 0 Comments