Kellogg’s, Schmelloggs. Pop Tarts, Schmop Schmarts. These healthy strawberry toaster pastries are, dare I say, better than their inspiration and 100% green tier.
The crust for these can also be used as a pie crust for many other recipes.
- 1 1/4 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp buttermilk powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 each medjool dates pitted
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cold
- 3 Tbsp tangerine juice or 3 tangerines
- 1 lb strawberries stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup medjool dates pitted
- 1 each egg yolk only
- 3 Tbsp water
- Puree dates. Add dates and strawberries to a medium skillet. Heat on low, stirring frequently, until strawberries break down and most of the liquid is evaporated, about 25 minutes.
- Add flour, buttermilk powder, salt, and baking powder to a stand mixer. Fit with paddle and mix on speed 1 for one minute. Chop (or puree) dates and add to flour mixture. Mix on speed 1 for one minute. Chop butter and add to flour mixture. Mix on speed 1 until dough is crumbly. Slowly add in tangerine juice. Allow to mix until mixture becomes mealy and holds its shape when pressed. (You may not need all the juice.) If dough is too dry, add a little ice water, just a teaspoon at a time, until dough mostly sticks together. A little crumbly is what you want. Knead a few times with your hands then form into a ball and refrigerate 10 min.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 4 rectangles, roughly 4.5 by 5.5 inches each. Gather remaining dough and scraps and re-roll and re-cut. (this may take several repeats.)
- Preheat oven to 400. Add filling to one rectangle. Brush edges with water. Top with a second rectangle. Press edges with tines of a fork to seal. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining rectangles.
- Mix egg yolk with 3 Tablespoons water. Brush egg wash onto the tops of each pastry. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool, and serve.
- Once cool, wrap tightly and freeze. To cook after freezing, add frozen pastry to microwave for 20 seconds or heat in toaster.