If you want a shortcut 5 ingredient cacciatore, click here. If you want something that is a little more authentic, this Hearty Slow Cooker Cacciatore is the ticket. I loved this recipe but I might be slightly biased since anything with kalamata olives in it is pretty much a sure thing for me. But the family I served this to also thought it was delicious, so take their word for it, not mine!
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 can whole tomatoes 28 oz, fire roasted preferred
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 28 oz, fire roasted preferred
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives pitted
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 8 oz carrot cut into chips, preferred
- 1 bag frozen bell peppers and onions
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 2/3 cup red wine or 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
To cook immediately
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on chicken. Place chicken at the bottom of a slow cooker. Add all remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Cook on low 6 hours or on high 4 hours. Check carrots for doneness. Cook longer if needed. Serve over cooked 100% whole grain egg noodles, cooked brown rice, or cooked cauliflower rice, optional.
- Combine all ingredients in a 2 gallon zip top bag. Freeze.
To cook after freezing
- Add frozen meal to slow cooker. Cook on low 8 hours or on high 6 hours. Serve over cooked 100% whole grain egg noodles, cooked brown rice, or cooked cauliflower rice, optional.