This is the real deal, people. Healthy French Toast Sticks! Chewy whole wheat french toast, packaged in convenient dippable sticks, for little hands or for the kid in all of us. Make this. Like, now.
Or, try this apple pie french toast.
- 2 1/2 cup water divided
- 3 1/4 cup 100% whole wheat flour pastry flour preferred
- 2 tsp vital wheat gluten
- 1 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp bread machine yeast
- 10 egg
- 2 cups milk unsweetened dairy free milk is fine
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Heat 1 1/2 cups water until warm but not boiling (about 1 minute on high in the microwave). Add warm water, flour, gluten and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer. (See notes for hand kneading.) Add yeast.
- Fit mixer with the dough hook attachment. Mix on low speed 3-5 minutes or until a dough ball is formed and cleans the sides of the bowl.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Grease 9X9 baking dish with cooking spray. Press dough as evenly as you can into the dish, pressing out to the edges and keeping the top flat.
- Bake bread at 450 for 20-25 minutes or until browned. Tapping on the surface of the bread should produce a hollow sound when done.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing. In fact, day-old bread works best for this recipe.
- Turn baked bread out onto a cutting board. Using a long serrated bread knife, cut bread evenly into 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch by 3 inch "sticks". (an be made larger or smaller if you prefer, but try to make them equally sized.)
- Combine all batter ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Place "sticks" into a 13 X 9 baking dish. Pour batter into dish. Cover and let sit, refrigerated, 30 minutes. Turn sticks over and re-cover. Return to fridge for 30 more minutes. Almost all the batter should be soaked in before you start cooking.
Cooking the Sticks
- Heat large skillet or griddle (we used an electric griddle) to 400 degrees (medium high heat). Spray with cooking spray, and add sticks. Cook 2 minutes per side (all four sides) or until cooked through. Serve with pure maple syrup, for dipping.
- Allow french toast sticks to cool completely. Store in an airtight freezer container or freezer bag. (I stored 4-5 of them in several quart sized freezer bags, so they could be a grabbable breakfast for one person.)
- To heat after freezing, microwave 1-2 minutes, if just making a few. For a larger batch, bake in a 350 oven for 10-12 minutes or until hot. Another method is to put the frozen french toast sticks in a slow cooker on low for 1 hour. (This is great if your group is not all eating at the same time!)