- 24 oz boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 4 oz mozzarella fresh
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup 100% whole grain breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh basil cut into ribbons, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in medium skillet until hot. Preheat oven to 450. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken in oil 4 minutes. Turn and add onion and garlic. Cook an additional 4 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a simmer. Simmer 20 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Transfer to a greased baking dish.
- Tear mozzarella into small pieces and sprinkle over chicken. Sprinkle parmesan, bread crumbs, and italian seasoning over chicken. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Top with fresh basil for garnish.