When you’re craving chili and cornbread, why not combine the two into one delicious healthy chili pot pie? I can’t think of a reason.
- 1 lb ground beef 90% lean or leaner
- 2 cans red kidney beans
- 2 cans Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen diced bell peppers rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen diced onions
- 3 Tbsp Chili Powder see notes
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin see notes
- 1 Tbsp salt see notes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder see notes
- 1/2 tsp onion powder see notes
- 1/8 tsp oregano see notes
- 1/8 tsp paprika see notes
- 1/8 tsp pepper see notes
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 4 Tbsp buttermilk powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 each egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
Chili: Slow Cooker
- Combine all chili ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on low 6 hours or on high 4 hours.
- Brown beef and onions. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 min.
- Spoon 2 cups chili into each of 2 pie plates. Top each with one half the cheese. Preheat oven to 400.
- Combine dry ingredients. Fold in wet ingredients. Spoon half the batter over each of the two pies. Bake at 400 for 20-24 minutes or until browned on top and cooked through. (Insert a toothpick into the center of the cornbread topping. When the toothpick comes out clean, the pies are done.)
- Make chili and top with cheese as directed. Cover tightly. Mix the dry ingredients of the cornbread topping ONLY. Add to a sandwich sized zip top plastic bag. Store in pantry or freeze together with the chili. (note: it's helpful to add the directions for finishing the cornbread topping to the bag. I just use a sharpie.)
To Cook After Freezing
- Preheat oven to 400. Add chili to oven. Let cook 20 min or until hot and bubbly. Add the wet ingredients from the cornbread topping to the dry ingredients mix from the sandwich bag. Spoon half of the batter over each pie. Bake at 400 20-24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of pies comes out clean.