Like a big dish of healthy cabbage rolls, but without the work, this healthy Cabbage Roll Soup soup is loaded with veggies and flavor. Let your slow cooker or instant pot do the work!
- 1 each bay leaf
- 1/2 each green cabbage or 1 bag coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup frozen sliced carrots or 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup frozen diced onions or 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce see notes
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 can whole tomatoes 14.5 oz
- 2 cans tomato sauce 8 oz each
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can black eyed peas rinsed and drained, or 1 cup frozen
- 1/2 cup brown rice
To Cook Immediately: Slow Cooker
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker. Cook on low 7 hours or on high 5 hours. Check rice for doneness. If rice is not done, turn to high and cook an additional 30-60 minutes or until rice is cooked.
To Cook Immediately: Instant Pot
- Add all ingredients to the insert of an Instant Pot. Lock lid; set valve to sealing. Program for soup. Allow for natural pressure release.
- Add all ingredients to a large zip top freezer bag. Freeze.
To Cook After Freezing: Slow Cooker
- Add frozen meal to slow cooker. Cook on low 10 hours or on high 8 hours. Check rice for doneness. If rice is not done, turn to high and cook an additional 30-60 minutes or until rice is cooked.
To Cook After Freezing: Instant Pot
- Add frozen meal to an insert of an instant pot. Press sauté. Allow to heat long enough so that 1 cup liquid accumulates at the bottom. Press cancel. Lock lid; set valve to sealing. Program for soup. Allow for natural pressure release. (Alternatively, do not freeze the broth with the meal and add it when you add the frozen meal to the IP. Then skip to second step.)
This Post Has 2 Comments
This looks good!
Make one similar and love it