When I was a little girl, my mom used to make her version of this. It was a big hit with the whole family, but it called for cream of mushroom soup and Lipton Onion Soup mix, two ingredients that just don’t fit with a 90/10 Nutrition lifestyle. So I set my sights on converting it to a healthy Chicken and Rice Bake, and I daresay this version is even better than the original!
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth divided, no sugar listed in ingredients
- 1 pint sliced mushrooms
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 8 oz cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine dried minced onion and next 6 ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
- Combine rice, milk, and 1 cup broth. Sprinkle mushrooms in the bottom of a 13X9 glass baking dish. Pour rice mixture over mushrooms.
- Place chicken breasts on top of rice mixture in dish. Sprinkle with the onion mixture. Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- While chicken is baking, combine cream cheese and remaining 1/2 cup broth in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- After baking for 45 minutes, remove dish from oven. Remove foil. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove chicken from dish. Keep warm.
- Stir cream cheese mixture into rice mixture in dish. Stir well to combine.
- Return chicken to dish. Cover with foil, and bake an additional 30 minutes or until both chicken and rice are cooked through.
This Post Has 3 Comments
This was my FAVORITE dinner growing up! I could eat my weight in the rice!!! Thanks for a 90/10 version!!
Let us know how you like it!
I thin I will try this one soon. Sounds so good!