We took the traditional Thanksgiving bird “out of the box” (meaning, the oven) for this to-die-for version: Grilled whole turkey. Grilling the turkey not only frees up your oven for more important things, like pie, but it practically cooks itself. This bird only requires three ingredients and no basting, no checking, no worrying. Oh and since it cooks in a foil pan, no dishes either! The end result is a perfectly cooked bird, with tender, juicy meat lurking beneath a golden brown, crispy skin. Did I mention pie?
- 1 whole turkey 15 lbs
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove neck and any giblets from turkey. Rinse turkey inside and out. Pat dry with paper towels. Place turkey in a sturdy foil roasting pan large enough for the size of your bird. Sprinkle inside and outside generously with kosher salt and pepper.
- Carefully and while supporting the bottom of your pan, place the pan on your grill over indirect heat. Reduce heat to medium. Close grill. Cook 15 minutes per pound of turkey. For our 15 pound bird, we let it cook 3 hours and 45 minutes.
- Turkey is cooked when it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove turkey from pan, and serve on a serving platter.