After trying a version of this non-traditional sweet potato casserole, which uses a crunchy pecan topping, I was done with marshmallows. And I love marshmallows! But this Clean Eating Sweet Potato Casserole is just so much better!
- 5 sweet potato medium
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2/3 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 cup pecans
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into large chunks. Add potatoes to a medium saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Boil 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix cooked potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, milk, 1/2 cup honey, vanilla, beaten eggs, and salt. Spread mixture evenly into a greased 9 inch square casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- In a food processor, finely chop pecans. Mix chopped nuts, 1/2 cup softened butter, honey, and flour until well combined. Spread over baked casserole. Return to oven and bake an additional 15 minutes or until topping is browned and crispy.