I challenge you to serve these whole grain wonders at your next family gathering. Soft and tender, these 100% whole wheat dinner rolls are the perfect accompaniment to any meal. Be sure to serve them warm and fresh. Freeze any leftovers, or like we do in our house, make turkey paninis with leftover turkey and leftover cranberry sauce.
- 2 Tbsp active dry yeast instant works too
- 1/2 cup water warm
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 egg
- 1 cup milk or buttermilk, lukewarm
- 5 1/2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Add warm water, warm milk, 1/2 c. softened butter, honey, and eggs to a bowl of a stand mixer*. Add 5 c. flour and salt. Add yeast to the center.
- Affix mixer with dough hook. Mix on speed 1 for 5-7 minutes or until dough ball forms and cleans the sides of the bowl. Note: add more flour, 1-2 Tbsp. at a time, if the dough is too sticky and doesn’t form a ball. Do not remove dough from bowl.
- Cover the dough with a clean dish towel and allow to rise 45 minutes. Turn mixer to speed 1 again just to punch the dough down (about 10 seconds).
- Turn dough out onto a cutting surface. Divide dough evenly in 24 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, and place in 2 greased 13X9 pans (12 in each). Cover again with towel. Let rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake buns 20-25 minutes at 350 or until golden. Brush buns with remaining 2 Tbsp. melted butter.