Healthy Greek Calzones with a 100% whole grain crust and real food ingredients. This would be hard to find at a restaurant without refined flour, but you can make it in a snap.
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 jar sun dried tomatoes 8 oz.
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives pitted and sliced
- 1 can artichoke hearts large, drained
- 1 cup baby spinach fresh
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 Tbsp of water, for egg wash
- 1 3/8 cup water warmed
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups 100% whole wheat pastry flour warmed (microwave, 1 minute) (SEE NOTE 1)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast SEE NOTE 2
- 5 oz mixed salad greens
- 12 grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Place warm water, honey and oil in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add flour, salt, and yeast, taking care that the yeast and the salt don’t touch. Mix on low 4-5 minutes or until a dough ball forms and cleans the sides of the bowl. Complete calzones as directed below.
- Mix parmesan and oregano in a small bowl. Set aside. Prepare dough. Divide into 6 equal portions. Place two portions in a quart sized zip top bag and freeze for later use. Cover remaining portions loosely with foil and set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion. Cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, olives, artichokes, and spinach. Cook until spinach wilts, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Working with one dough portion at a time, roll into a 8 inch circle (or thereabout). Fill 1/2 the circle with about 1/3 c. (heaping) spinach mixture. Fold the other half over the filling, and pinch edges to seal. Place calzone on parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough portions and remaining filling. Mix egg yolk and water. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the calzones with the egg wash. Sprinkle with the parmesan mixture. Bake at 400 for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Toss vegetables with pine nuts and arrange into 4 bowls. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate unused portion. Allow to return to room temperature to use again.