If you like grilled cheese sandwiches, you need to try these grown up versions! Fontina and Pesto Grilled Cheese is gourmet grilled cheese.
- 4 each 100% whole grain english muffins or sprouted grain
- 4 oz fontina cheese grated
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 oz parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 package pre-cut butternut squash OR 1.5 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cut into fries
- 1 Tbsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400. Toss squash “fries” in 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Spread on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Stir. Turn oven to broil. Broil 2 minutes. While squash is cooking, make pesto by combining basil, pine nuts, 2 Tbsp. olive oil, parmesan, and garlic in a food processor. Process until smooth. Set aside. Heat griddle or panini press to high heat. Open each muffin. Spread 2 tsp. butter on each cut side of each muffin. On unbuttered side, spread 1 Tbsp. pesto and top with 1 oz. fontina cheese. Top with other muffin half (buttered side up). Repeat with remaining muffins, pesto, and fontina. Cook sandwiches 3-4 minutes or until toasted and cheese is melted. Serve sandwiches with fries.