Eggplant Parmesan is my favorite way to eat eggplant, and this Clean Eating Eggplant Parmesan is simply the best! It’s really easy to make and will make your italian night shine.
- 1 each eggplant small to medium
- 3/4 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 2 each egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup 100% whole grain breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jar pasta sauce no sugar listed in ingredients
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella torn into bits
- 1/4 cup fresh basil cut into thin ribbons
- Slice eggplant into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Add flour to a shallow dish. Add eggs to a second shallow dish, and breadcrumbs to a third. Dredge a slice of eggplant in the flour. Dip it in the eggs, then dredge in breadcrumbs. Lay it on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices. Refrigerate 30 min.
- Add marinara to a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and let simmer while you cook the eggplant.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add eggplant slices, working in batches. Let cook 1-2 min or until golden brown. Turn. Cook another 1-2 minutes or until second side is golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to drain and cool. Repeat with remaining oil and eggplant.
- Preheat the oven to 475º. Arrange the eggplant slices on a baking sheet and top each with a spoonful of marinara. Sprinkle the tops evenly with cheese. Bake the eggplant for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve the eggplant topped with fresh basil.