If you can’t find a clean “hot dog” for this healthy chili dog recipe, try a clean sausage. We used Applegate Farms Roasted Pepper Chicken and Turkey Sausage for testing purposes.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 cup frozen diced onions no need to thaw
- 1 package frozen diced bell peppers 10 oz
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can white beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 cup vegetable broth no sugar listed in ingredients
- 20 pickled jalapeno slices
- 2 Tbsp juice from jalapeno jar
- 1 can jackfruit drained and shredded
- 4 clean hot dogs or clean sausage, see recipe notes
- 4 each 100% whole wheat hot dog buns
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated, optional
- Heat oil in large stockpot. Add garlic, onion, and peppers. Sauté 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill. Grill dogs (or sausages) 12 minutes, turning frequently, or until cooked through.
- With 5 minutes remaining in the cook time, butter the cut sides of the buns (optional) and place them butter side down on the grill. Grill buns 2-4 minutes or until warm and toasted.
- Place a dog (or sausage) on each bun. Top with chili. Top with cheese, if desired.