In this delightful and healthy Chicken Parmesan Sliders recipe, tender, juicy chicken breasts swim in marinara and are smothered with cheese and then nestled inside a soft, buttery, garlicky bun. The result is big chicken parmesan flavor in an itty bitty sandwich!
- 2 Tbsp active dry yeast instant works too
- 1/2 cup water warm
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 egg
- 1 cup milk or buttermilk, lukewarm
- 5 1/2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast 1.5-2 lbs total weight
- 1 jar marinara no sugar listed in ingredients
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella grated
- Add warm water, warm milk, 1/2 c. softened butter, honey, and eggs to a bowl of a stand mixer. Add 5 c. flour and salt. Add yeast to the center. Affix mixer with dough hook. Mix on speed 1 for 5-7 minutes or until dough ball forms and cleans the sides of the bowl. Note: add more flour, 1-2 Tbsp. at a time, if the dough is too sticky and doesn’t form a ball. Do not remove dough from bowl.
- Cover bowl with clean dish towel and let rise 45 minutes. Remove towel. Turn mixer to speed 1 just for 10-15 seconds to "punch" dough down.
- Turn dough out onto a cutting surface. Divide dough evenly in 24 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, and place in 2 greased 13X9 pans (12 in each). Cover again with towel. Preheat oven to 350 while buns are rising. Let rise 30 minutes.
- Bake buns 20-25 minutes at 350 or until golden. Reserve 12 buns for another use (wrap tightly in plastic and freeze, if desired).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add chicken. Boil 20 minutes or until chicken is completely done, no pink remaining. Drain chicken. Shred with two forks. (See notes.)
- Mix shredded chicken with marinara and scoop it onto the bottom halves of the buns in the baking dish. Top with mozzarella. Top with buns.
- Return sliders to oven and cook 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Brush remaining melted butter over the tops of the sliders and sprinkle with garlic powder.