Try this Bowties with Spring Vegetables recipe. It has a nice Red Pepper Sauce and is served with homemade breadsticks (included in the recipe). Feel free to vary the vegetables with this dish, and even the shape of the pasta here.
Bowties with Spring Vegetables
- 1 cup green beans cut into 2" pieces
- 1 cup carrot thinly sliced
- 1 lb asparagus trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
- 1 cup broccoli florets only (stems removed)
- 12 oz 100% whole grain bowtie pasta
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz, undrained
- 1 jar roasted red bell peppers undrained
- 1/2 batch pizza dough see notes
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter soft
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
Bowties with Spring Vegetables in Red Pepper Sauce
- To make the sauce, add vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic, tomatoes, and roasted peppers to a blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta. Return water to boiling; set timer for 8 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, steam carrots 2 minutes. Add broccoli and green beans. Steam 2 minutes longer. Remove from pan. Add asparagus to pan. Steam 6 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp.
- Combine all vegetables in a bowl. Add pasta and sauce. Stir well. Top veggie mix with parmesan and basil ribbons. Serve.
- Preheat oven to 400. Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thick. Spread butter on dough. Sprinkle with garlic powder. Using a pizza cutter, cut dough into 1/2 inch wide strips. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.