The “wow factor” is off the charts on this one! 100% Whole Wheat Asiago Cheese Hamburger buns. We originally served these with Jalapeno-Cheese Stuffed Burgers. Uh yea…
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 cups 100% whole wheat flour plus more for kneading
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups asiago cheese grated, divided
- 2 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 egg yolk only
Stand Mixer Method
- Warm milk in microwave for 1 minute on high. Add milk, butter, and honey to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add flour. Add salt to the side of the bowl. Add yeast to the center of the flour.
- Fit mixer with dough hook. Turn mixer on low speed. Allow mixer to knead dough for 1 or 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups cheese. Continue kneading until a dough ball is formed. Dough will be soft and slightly sticky, but if it's too sticky to work with, knead in more flour one tablespoon at a time.
- Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Beat egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water. Using a pastry brush, brush buns with egg wash. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 20-25 minutes. Turn oven to broil and broil 1-2 minutes to brown the cheese. Allow to cool before slicing.
By Hand Method
- Warm milk as directed in mixer method. Add milk, butter, and honey to a large bowl. Stir in salt. Stir in flour and yeast. Stir with spoon until it's too hard to stir anymore, then turn out to a lightly floured surface and knead by hand. Dough will be sticky, but if it's too sticky to work with, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time. When a soft and slightly sticky dough ball is reached, proceed to shaping as directed above.