When you can’t find 100% whole grain, healthy hoagie rolls in the grocery store, you just go home and make your own. Like a boss! These Whole Wheat Soft Hoagie Rolls are so good!
This recipe was adapted from the Bread Lover’s Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 3/4 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Add both water and milk to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 1 minute. Add warmed liquids to the bowl of a stand mixer. Cut butter into chunks and add it to liquids in bowl. Add honey. Add flour and gluten. Measure salt and add to the side of the bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and add yeast. Fit mixer with dough hook. Knead dough on speed 1 for 5 minutes or until a dough ball forms and cleans the sides of the bowl.
- Remove dough hook from dough. Add 1 tsp olive oil to the bowl. Turn dough ball to coat all sides in oil. Cover bowl with a clean dish towel. Let stand in a warm, draft-free place for 1 hour. Re-fit mixer with dough hook. Knead on speed 1 for 30 seconds. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide evenly into 6 portions. Shape into long ovals and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover again with a clean dish towel. Let stand in a warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350.
- After the second rise, remove towel and bake, uncovered, at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.