My mom calls this “Pizza without the red sauce.” I’m ok with that, but I call this Clean Eating Olive Cheese Bread my little piece of heaven. OLIVE this bread. (You know I had to say it. You had to see that coming.)
This recipe was adapted from thepioneerwoman.com
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 3/4 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jar green olives with pimientos about 6 oz.
- 1 can Black olives about 6 oz
- 3 each green onion sliced
- 4 oz unsalted butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise green tier, see notes
- 8 oz monterey jack cheese grated
- 8 oz mozzarella grated
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers chopped
- Add both water and milk to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 1 minute. Add warmed liquids to the bowl of a stand mixer. Cut butter into chunks and add it to liquids in bowl. Add honey. Add flour and gluten. Measure salt and add to the side of the bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and add yeast. Fit mixer with dough hook. Knead dough on speed 1 for 5 minutes or until a dough ball forms and cleans the sides of the bowl.
- Remove dough hook from dough. Add 1 tsp olive oil to the bowl. Turn dough ball to coat all sides in oil. Cover bowl with a clean dish towel. Let stand in a warm, draft-free place for 1 hour. Re-fit mixer with dough hook. Knead on speed 1 for 30 seconds. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide evenly into 12 portions. Shape into long ovals and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover again with a clean dish towel. Let stand in a warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350.
- After the second rise, remove towel and bake, uncovered, at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Slice each roll in half lengthwise, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Preheat oven to 350.
Olive Cheese Bread
- Mix all toppings ingredients until well mixed. Spread over cut sides of rolls. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until melty and just turning brown.
- Make rolls as directed above. Cut in half, place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with toppings mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze. Once frozen (24 hours) you can take off of baking sheet and put in freezer bags, if desired.
To Cook After Freezing
- To cook after freezing, thaw completely and bake as directed above.